Fine Art/M. Utrillo

Question
I have a Maurice Utrillo color painting from circa 1933 of a French street scene.  I believe mine is an orgininal and would like to know the approximate value.  If for some odd reason the signature and date are of a reprint, what would that be worth as well.  I am afraid to take it out of originbal frame to look in back of picture.

Thank you,

Terea Ferris 702-373-7572

Answer
Dear Terea, Utrillo was the most reproduced, copied, and faked artist of the 20th century. If you do not have an impressive provenance (history of ownership), exhibition record, and or labels from important art galleries then the chances that you have an authentic painting by Utrillo are slim to none. You can find Utrillos at any Goodwill or Salvation Army store. If you still believe you have an original painting look through the Utrillo Catalogue Raisonne (all the known paintings) by Paul Petrides. You can find these volumes at most major art museum and university libraries, or you can purchase it for about $3,000.
Good Luck,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes