Fine Art/Marc Chagall

Question
QUESTION: I am looking at purchasing an unsigned Chagall lithograph titled Les Sirenes for $18,100.  I have all the provenance.  Assuming everything is above board...is this price fair?  How is Chagall as a collectible artist today?
Thanks

ANSWER: Brad--Chagall is very collectible.  But $18,100 for an unsigned [and I assume unnumbered] lithograph is very high.  You can get a signed & no. one for that price--and I don't know what provenance you have, but get me the Mourlot No. [catalog #], and I might be able to give you more info.  Alan Klevit

QUESTION: thanks for responding.  I dont have the catalog number yet. I am buying it from Park West (I have bought from them before and have nver been disappointed compared to gallery prices).  Yes, it is both unsigned and unnumbered (from 250 in the series).  Any idea from this what range you would consider fair price?  Are you familiar (have you seen) the work?
ANSWER: Brad--I am familiar with Park West.  They definitely sell legit chart.  I don't know the piece by its title.  Get the Mourlot Number.  It MUST have one to be valid.  Still sounds high.  Alan

QUESTION: Thanks again...
The Mourlot number is 787.  250 lithographs in the set, non of which are signed or numbered and an additional 30 artist proofs that are signed (given to the printer's staff).  Printed at Mourlot.  5 colors in the "Les Sirenes" from the Odessey series lithographs (red, yellow, green, blue, black).  One of the more attractive pieces...

Answer
Brad--no auction records on M. 787.  However, in Nov., a piece from Odyssea II, from the edition of 30, sold at Sotheby's for $6,000; a year earlier, a larger went for $15,000.  $18,000 for an unsigned piece from the edition of 250 sounds within the bounds of reason, but sure no bargain, either.  Alan.

Alan Klevit