Fine Art/Marc Chagall Lithograph

Question
Back in the 60's I purchased,here in Detroit,
a matted and framed Chagall, signed in pencil and numbered "2/150". On the back is a tag read-
ing "Nice Series". Although I have found many of
his prints with similar such subjects, i.e.,
mermaids with flowers and a fish, I cannot
find this exact print. I find mand many of such llthos in Editions of 5,000 or so selling for
$15,000 each I cannot find any info on mine in
this very limited edition. Your coments, please.

Answer
Robert--"Nice Series" concerns me.  Neither Chagall nor his publisher, Mourlot, would ever package his art that way.  As for the editions of 5,000 selling for $15,000, that is an obscene rip-off.  Period.  They are worth hundreds, not thousands.  Back to your piece:  in the 60's the signed and numbered lithographs created by Chagall were editions of 50-75.  The 150 size was by his friend Charles Sorlier, given permission by Chagall to create images based on Chagall paintings.  They are "afters" but made from scratch, so to speak, not reproductions.  And Chagall signed them.  Sounds like you have one of those.  If so, its  honest retail value could range anywhere from $7,500 to perhaps $12,000.  Of course, some unsuspecting soul could pay more.  Enjoy it.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit