Fine Art/Marc Chagall Print

Question
Sir,  I saw your response to a gentleman regarding Chagall prints, and I have a similar question.  I bought your book as well, but it hasn't come from amazon yet.  I have 3 chagall prints that I received in a lot at an estate auction.  I paid very little for them.  They appear to be signed and numbered xxx/500.  What is the history of these prints and how do I tell what they are exactly?

Thanks

Timothy

Answer
Timothy--thanks for ordering the book.  I hope you find it informative and interesting.  Regarding your question, there are no original lithographs in editions of 500 hand signed by Chagall.  Period!  Also, original lithographs pulled from stones created by Chagall, signed & numbered, sell in the $10,000 to $30,000 range [a few even higher].  Consider this, Timothy:  If you had one to sell and could get even $6 or $7K at auction [wholesale], would you give it away?  If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.  If you like them proportionate to what you paid, then it is fine.  Just enjoy them.  Alan Klevit

Alan Klevit