Fine Art/Marc Chagall authenticity?

Question
Hi Alan,

I recently got a painting that appears to be an original Marc Chagall. I was wondering if you would able to tell if it is an original based on pictures I have taken. It is signed and dated Marc Chagall, 1953. In searching images on the Internet I found a similar painting that is dated 1954 by Chagall called 'Bridges over the Seine'. It seems like the one I have is a prototype of sorts of that painting. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures as necessary.

Many Thanks,
Jim Fitzpatrick

Answer
Jim, the only thing pictures would provide is imagery in the style of Chagall.  That doesn't help.  Lots of reprints on paper and canvas out there, and lots of knockoffs.  An expert has to see the work, such as someone at sotheby's or christie's.  Also, price suggests reality.  A painting by Chagall would be worth six figures up, and whomever you acquired it from should have provenance [authenticity], and more than a letter stating it is an original.  All of chagall's paintings are known.  I can't emphasize enough:  if you bought it for a song, it probably is a song, and if you think it is a painting, contact Sotheby's.  Good luck.  Alan.

Alan Klevit