Fine Art/Marc Chagall real or fake?

Question
My husband bought this drawing on line could you look at it and tell me if its real or a fake.

thank you for your time

~A

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/myssia1/album?.dir=/d03dre2

Answer
Ann--the photos certainly resemble Chagall's style and imagery, and the signature does as well, although there are many, many very good forgeries of Chagall's signatures on prints, lithos, memorabilia, etc.  Perhaps thousands!  As I point out in my book, unless you are an expert, don't buy masters on line.  A real drawing like those on the website would likely sell for thousands and thousands of dollars--10-20-30!  Depends on the piece.  If your husband "stole" it for much less, I would doubt its authenticity.  If you owned something you could sell for one price, would you sell it for a fraction of its value?  At least ask the seller for some provenance, ie, papers that trace the piece back to Chagall.  A certificate that simply states it is an original, signed by John Doe, is inadequate.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

Alan Klevit