Fine Art/Marc Chagall watercolor

Question
I think I have an original unsigned watercolor of moses Receiving the tablets of the law.http://www.marcchagallprints.com/view_art.php it looks exactly like the one at this web site. while having it reframed there was some doodeling and the name Mosi written on the back can you confirm what I think? Thankyou.

Answer
Dear Sam, if your piece looks exactly like the one you referenced, it seems to me it is a reproduction of it.  Two original watercolors, being one of a kind by definition, would not look exactly alike.  Chagall would not even try, nor want them to be the same.  Even when he repeated the same subject matter, he intentionally took a different perspective, even as to composition.  Also, VERY unlikely to have doodling on the back, not be signed, perhaps even dated, on the front.  You might want to take it to an appraiser and/or contact Sotheby's or Christies, but there are just not that many Chagall uniques floating about.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit