Fine Art/Mary Cassatt Painting

Question
Hello-
I recently purchased a painting by Mary Cassatt entitled "Child in a Straw Hat".  I had been looking for a print of this piece for years but came upon this painting and had to purchase it.  It is definitely an antique and is signed by the artist. The overall condition of this is very nice. The back is wired and ready for hanging. There is a strip of paper on the back that reads as follows: PM1713 | Mary Cassatt, 1844-1926| Child in a Straw Hat (c. 1886) | canvas | 0.648xo.489 m (251/2 x 19 1/4 in.) Lent by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon | National Gallery of Art, Washington . It is signed by Mary Cassatt in the bottom right hand corner.  What are the odds that this is authentic?  I am sure the original is hanging in a museum somewhere but is it possible that it is really her signature on the piece?  How were copies of paintings made in the 1800s?  I am very curious though it does not matter to me either way.  I am very happy to simply have a copy of the picture for sentimental reasons.  Thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Dana,  Mary Cassatt is one of my favorites, too.  The reproduction you have sounds like an offset litho transfer on canvas.  Mary would not have signed a repro [and I don't even think that process on canvas goes back to the 19th century].  She did original lithographs, meaning they were created on stones and pulled, rather than copies of paintings, and those she signed in pencil.  I am glad you found a copy of something you like so much.  Continue to enjoy.  I admire people who enjoy the arts.  Alan.

Alan Klevit