Fine Art/Maurice Utillo, V.

Question
My husband is a NYC Sanitation worker and found an oil painting signed by Maurice Utillo, V.

It has a gold metal instription that reads SMALL HOSTELRY, M. UTRILLO.

It is not a canvas but it looks like it was painted on a thin board.  How do I know if its authentic

Answer
Dear Josephine, Chances that you have an authentic Utrillo are slim to none. He is probably the most copied, faked, and reproduced artist in the world. You can find "painted on board" Utrillos at any resale shop. If the back of your painting has museum exhibition labels and/or French art gallery labels then probably you should make an appointment with a curator at an art museum.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes