Fine Art/Maurice Utillo, V.

My husband is a NYC Sanitation worker and found an oil painting signed by Maurice Utillo, V.

It has a gold metal instription that reads SMALL HOSTELRY, M. UTRILLO.

It is not a canvas but it looks like it was painted on a thin board.  How do I know if its authentic

Dear Josephine, Chances that you have an authentic Utrillo are slim to none. He is probably the most copied, faked, and reproduced artist in the world. You can find "painted on board" Utrillos at any resale shop. If the back of your painting has museum exhibition labels and/or French art gallery labels then probably you should make an appointment with a curator at an art museum.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.