Fine Art/Maurice Utrillo

What would this be?  It's an Utrillo of some sort, but I don't know the format.  It has a seal on the back that says:01655 - Maurice Utrillo, Le Sacre-Coeur de Montmartre
Braun & Cie
Paris-Londres-New York
The picture itself is not the typical Montmartre scene because there are 2 women in the forefront on the left that you can see from the rear and other people in front of them.  The left side of the piece says in hand writing Montmartre de Sacre-Coeur. On the right of the work is hand-written Maurice Utrillo V and under that 1931.  Is it a print, litho, heliogravure, or what?  It looks like a watercolor.  There are no dots or engraving lines to suggest litho or engraving.  Did this come out of a book of some sort?

Dear Susan, Chances are slim to none that you have an authentic Utrillo. He was the most reproduced, copied, and faked artist of the 20th century. You can find one at any Goodwill or Salvation Army store. If you want to pursue this please follow the instructions below.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.