Fine Art/Maurice Utrillo Notre Dame de Clignantcourt

Question
Dear Mr. Hynes:

My name is Jon Weill and I'm in Chaska, Minnesota.  I'm in the process of helping an elderly man in St. Paul.  He has many paintings and works of art.  

One item in particular is a painting signed Maurice Utrillo V.  I am well aware of his paintings being copied, reproduced etc.  I am trying to eliminate this as authentic, but I can't yet.  I know from reading that Utrillo did at least 6 Notre Dame de Clignancourt paintings and this piece is intriguing.  If it's a fake, it's a good fake.  I am just trying to determine this painting's authenticity, one way or another.
The elderly gentleman who owns the piece bought it at an antique store in Bethesda, MD.  He was in the store when a man brought this painting to the store.  He said it was in his attic. The store purchased the painting and they were putting it on the wall when my friend bought it right then and there.  I know this is hearsay but it's the story I have.

I have jpg files of the painting and will forward them to you at your request.  Like anything, one hopes it's authentic, but with Utrillo's history and the number of copies/fakes etc. you can't help but be suspicious.  

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to our next contact.

Jon Weill
Chaska, Minnesota
952-212-3525

Answer
Dear Jon, You can send me images, but your first step should really be to check the "Complete Works of Maurice Utrillo" by Paul Petrides. This can be found at most major art museum and university libraries, or purchased for $6,000.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at pirround@msn.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do not research prints or artwork post-1940.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes