Fine Art/Maurice Utrillo Paintings

I have an oil on canvas of the "Church of Saint Severin" that was given to my by my Great Aunt.

How would one be able to tell if this was indeed an orginal?

Thank you

Dear Greg, 99% of the "Utrillo" paintings that pop-up are copies or fakes. The first thing, you should carefully examine your painting. The canvas and stretcher bars should look old, the back should have a label or labels from a Paris gallery and/or a major gallery in the U.S. Also it would likely have one or more exhibition labels.
You will also need to search through "The Complete Works of Maurice Utrillo" by Paul Petrides, Paris, 1959-1974. This is five volumes with thumbnail images of every painting, with description, exhibitions, and provenance (history of ownership). There were only 1000 copies of this publication which would cost in excess of $5,000 if you could find one. You will have to call major art museum or university libraries to find a copy that you can examine.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.