Fine Art/Maurice Utrillo

Recently my employers inherited a number of items from her parents estate.  Three of them are Utrillo's, supposedly.  Where can I go to find out if they are the correct subjects and materials etc.  I have researched what I could find on the www but have not found too many pictures that came even close to these but they match his signature and style (easily duplicated).  What museums or universities would have access to the books containing his works?  We live in the SF Bay Area would there be on nearby?  Appreciate any help you can give me, understand that many pieces are fakes but have been asked to verify the fact by my employer.  Steven

Dear Steven, The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco will have the volumes of the catalogue raisonne (complete works)on Utrillo by Paul Petrides. There you will find thousands of paintings listed with images. If the paintings in question were ever exhibited, or in a well known collection, or sold by an important dealer then there will be a record of them. Keep in mind that Utrillo was the most reproduced, copied, and faked artist of the early 20th century.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.