Fine Art/Max Weyl Landscape

Question
Dear Dan:
My mother's estate has an original landscape 18" x 28" in oil signed Max Weyl, 1891.  The subject: Farmhouse on the Chesapeake Bay.  It has been in our family since my grandmother acquired it in the early 1900's. It is in excellent condition.  I believe it was restored at the Corcoran Art Gallery about 20 years ago to revive the color tones.
The estate needs to determine the value of the painting and the best way to sell it. Could you guessimate a value? Which is better: Public Art Galleries w/Weyl collections, auction houses, or private dealers to offer it for sale?
Thank you for your kind attention to my request

Benjamin Ashton

Answer
Dear Benjamin, Personally I like Max Weyl's paintings and have sold a number of them, however interest in his work is mostly regional (the Chesapeake area). I checked auction prices for the past two years for Weyl paintings of similar subject and size. The average price is $3,000 to $4,000. If you like I can send you exact information on nine paintings that were at auction. The value of your painting also depends upon condition (any paint loss, restoration, lined on another canvas, etc.), frame, and general attractiveness of the scene.
If you like you could send me jpg images of the front, back, and perhaps a close-up detail. My email is pirround@msn.com, please make the subject line "allexperts" so I do not bounce you as spam.
Cordially,
Dan  

Daniel A. Hynes