Fine Art/Max Weyl Painting

Question
Hello Mr. Haynes:

One of my company's clients has in her estate an original Max Weyl painting, 14.5"x17", "Landscape with Cherry Blossoms", 1890.  

Mr. Weyl was a Washington DC painter and celebrated in this community, from what I can gather.  My client bought this painting in 1983 for $2500.  Do you have any idea what this painting's value would be today?

Thank you very much for your help.  Also, I have some questions regarding Asian art - Chinese vases, Japanese reprints, etc.  If you know of anyone who might be able to help me with value of these items, I would appreciate that as well.

regards,
Carrie Morin

Answer
Dear Carrie, I am very familiar with the works of Max Weyl. I like him, but he is not especially a "hot item" at auction. For the past decade buyers have wanted "Hudson River School" and "American Impressionist" paintings. Weyl is more of a Tonalist, and that style is not so popular now. I cannot really appraise a painting I have not seen, as there are matters of condition, desireability, exhibition records, etc. From the title I assume the painting is rather attractive, the date is good, and size is acceptable. My "ball park" figure for the painting would be $3,500 to $4,500.
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes