Fine Art/Mezzotint

I have a framed color mezzotint of Master Lambton after Sir Thomas Lawrence.  I am aware of the famous black and white in the NY Public Library by Cousins but am at a dead end regarding mine.

Written in pencil below is "Engraved in Mezzotint and printed in color at one printing".  That is at least what it appears to be.  The signature appears to be "G. Gaynnard", though I find no record of this person anywhere.  On top of the print is the sentence "Published 1812 by Alex Williams London & New York, USA.

The work is stunning and I would like to know more about the signing artist and the publisher as very little is available online.  While my reading of the signature may be incorrect, the first and last name definitely begin with the same letter.

Dear James,

I hope all is well with you and thank you for your question. The information as you state in your question is inconsistent with your print being Master Lambton after Sir Thomas Lawrence. Lawrence did not paint Master Lambton until 1825. Cousins did his print in 1826. The date of 1812 must be incorrect. Is the image of the boy in red velvet the same as in Lawrence’s painting?

I could not find any information on the publisher, but I did find a mezzotint after Lawrence engraved by George Henry Phillips, circa 1839. You can see a copy of it at:

If you can send photos of the print, including all writing I can take a look and see if I can find more information. My email address is:

Thank you for your question. I look forward to seeing the images.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.