Fine Art/Milton Bowens: African American Contemoprary Fine Artist

Question
Northern California has recently become enthralled by this new contemporary fine artist: www.milton510.com (Milton Bowens)
I can see his various influences; Basquiat, Rauchenberg, Pollock. What do you think?
Also, what do you think about African Americans place (or lack thereof) in Art History?
Kevin
Arts Enthusiast

Answer
Kevin--I hold Milton Bowens in very high regard and think he is is own man.  Your question reminds me that I never liked the idea of a separate museum for African American Artists, or the Women's Museum for that matter, as it [they] provided excuses for keeping minority groups out of the major museums.  When I had my galleries in the Washington, D. C. Area, I represented Ed Dwight, a fabulous sculptor, and Joseph Holston, a painter and printmaker of the highest order, as well as Romare Bearden [whom I knew personally], Sam Gilliam and Jacob Lawrence.  I enjoy the palette of Jonathan Green among some younger African Americans. The list is growing, at last, of the respected artists, many overlooked, in the African American community.  Alan.

Alan Klevit