Fine Art/Monet's Impression Sunrise

I'm interested in the background to Monet's work 'Impression Sunrise', particularly the techniques, materials, and tools used (brushes, etc.) when creating it. I've looked on the web but can;t find anything specific that answers the questions I have about the piece. I would be grateful for any information you could give me, or any websites you could suggest.

Dear David, I cannot transcribe the information I have, too much. There is a book, "Techniques of the Great Masters of Art", publ.Chartwell Books, 1985, which can be found on for $30 or $40. It is a large book with excellent illustrations. For Monet's technique they use his painting "Antibes" for an example. It describes his ground, palette (shows and names the exact colors), how he layered his paint, etc. Very good and detailed information which would also apply to the painting you mentioned. Superb book, covers all the major artists.
I like your email handle.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.