Fine Art/Name of a painting/artist

Dear Mr. Hynes,

I am trying to remember the name of a painting I once saw some 35 years ago.  It was famous, as I bought a print of it at the museum in which I saw it (in New York or London, I can't remember).  I keep thinking it was "Lady of the Lake", or something like that.  A very beautiful, romantic oil of a lady reclining in a boat on a lake, her hand trailing in the water, maybe in the art nouveau style?  I am sorry to trouble you, but I am now quite old now and I would really like to see a print of this painting again before I die.

Thank you for your help.

Ross Klinger

Dear Ross, I am not sure if I can identify the exact painting, but it sounds like a painting by one of the "Pre-Raphaelites". You might search for "The Lady of Shallot" by John William Waterhouse, or "Ophelia" by Sir John Everett Millais.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.