Fine Art/Need help to identify a painting

I have had a painting for a few years now.  I bought it from an elderly lady who was moving into a small apartment and selling everything she had.  She had received it from her sister who bought it at an estate auction back in the 70's.  I will be sending some pictures as soon as my wife wakes up and helps me load them into the computer.
It seems to be an oil on canvas painting.  About three feet wide and two feet high.  There are six men sitting around a table listening to the seventh man at the head of the table talk.  All the men are dressed like its the early 19th century.  They are in a large room but the table is the only furniture.  There is a chandelier with candles hanging above them and a fireplace in the background.  The picture is very detailed but has a problem with it.  It looks as though two of the men were added to the painting after it was painted.  And until right now I never noticed it but it looks like the 7th man is weighing fish on a scale and something small in the shape of a salt shaker.

Dear David,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.