Fine Art/Oil by ? Ericson

I have an oil painting, aproximately 15" x 11" framed and I think the signature in lower right is Ericson with what appears to be a "16" to the lower left end of the signature. Signature is in black.  The painting is a rural scene with woman walking down path toward lake and man walking up path from lake.  There is a small building along the path in the very center of the painting.  This painting is old and is on board.  The paint if very thick in areas.  The clothing and the building suggests this scene might not be in America.  On the back there is a sticker, "Burlington Art Galleries, Phone 20984, 75 Field Street, Durban   Order No. 15328".  Can you help with identification of the artist or send further directons to get information.  Thank you for your time.   Mary Miller

Dear Mary,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.