Fine Art/Oil Painting

Hi, I purchased an oil painting from a yard sale about 6 mnths ago.  When I bought this, I was told that they had purchased it from an auction for their daughter, and they were told that it hung in a Judge's mansion on his plantation back in the 1900's, atleast that is what they were told at the auction they purchased it at.  They said that the painting kinda "freaked their daughter out" so they didnt have room for it.  It is intriqueing and appears to be an original oil painting in its original frame.  It is signed I. Wolfson bottom right corner.  It is obviously very old, but in good shape.  It definitely does not appear to be any kind of replica as it looks like it has been inside of this from forever.  It is of a woman sitting on the side of a bed with a lantern burning on the side table reading a book.  The woman is dressed in very old clothing. I have had a feeling about this painting since I drove by this persons garage and saw it sitting inside.  It is special and I really want to know more about it. I have researched this artist, and I believe it to be Irving Wolfson and have found limited info about him.  I would like to know if this painting might hold any value. Hope you can help.  I can send pictures if you would like to see it.  Thanks so much for your help.

Hello, this is the only auction result on Irving Wolfson. It is not for an oil though. Send me a picture. Thanks.
Irving Wolfson
Medium   Watercolor A PAIR MED: ON PAPER
Size   13 x 19 in. / 33 x 48.3 cm.
Misc.   Signed
Sale Of   Doyle New York: Wednesday, November 4, 1992 [Lot 37]
Estimate   800 - 1,200 US$
Sold For   605 US$

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University