Fine Art/Oil Paiting

I recently purchased an oil painting signed Stein 05'.  It has been painted on canvas and set in an old fraim.  I am not very familiar with art but it looks like an abstract painting.  Solid blue, yellow, white and black.  The painting is of a yellow road that cuts the painting in half.  On the road are what seems to be female figures clad in white.  Half of the figures have been stopped by a large flute played by a hand and a head surrounded by a question mark.  Also there is a large fiddle above the flute that looks like a crying face and it cuts the painting diagonally the other way.  In the background the road seems to be suspended in water and in the sky above the women there are window boxes with men (almost like a jury).  
I was wondering if you know anything about this artist? Could it be the writer Gertrude Stein, since the painting has a very feminst theme and from what I can tell the style seems to be from the early 20th century?
Thank you for your help?

Dear Maria,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image under 800 pixels, and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.