Fine Art/Oil hidden in the attic...

Dear Sir,

My son moved in to his 200 year old cottage recently. Deep in the corner of the attic were two pictures, one is an oil painting on canvas in in ornate frame.  There is a signature of sorts which looks like "Zara".  I admire art in many forms but am not a collector at all.  However when my son wanted to destroy the pictures, I knew if it had been me who spent the time and effort to paint something, I would not want it ending life in that way..  So its sat in my house...doing nothing..   Its not a particularly pretty piece, having a centre subject of a windmill in rolling hills.   I wonder if you would tell me anything about this piece.  The other I think is a print, but I am no expert.  Thats a little more eye catching but has no signature etc.
What intrigues me is the former owner of the cottage lived there 35 years and knew nothing of the painting when asked. So its been there some years...  Any ideas?

Suzanne Preston  

Suzanne, I don't do prints, but I will look at the other piece.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.