Fine Art/Oil painting identification

Hello, I am trying to research an oil painting we have.
It appears to be in its original frame 15"x14" which stands out as if an ornate carving and coloured gold.
There are four holes in theframe which are not for securing to a wall - part of the type of framing I beleive.
The painting is set back behind glass and measures 9"x7.5"
The oil painting appears to be on canvas nailed at the back to the frame (there looks like stretchers in place which seems odd if pinned. There is also appears to be a backing board possible milled board?
On the back of the frame there is a label reading "GEO Rowney, 51 Rathbone Place London"
- I have seen references to Rowney at Rathbone Place between 1837-1858 and 1817-1862 which is also confusing.

The oil painting I describe as a man with a short beard and moustache sat down, cross legged in court jester atire (red top and hood and red leggings).
In his right hand he is holding an artists paint brush and in his left a signwriters rest (stick with a ball on top) - to his right on the ground appears to be a small glass with liquid in
Above his head is a white owl or large bird looking down as there is no facial detail, I cannot tell.
There looks like the initials RH at the bottom right hannd corner - these initials if correct, are in a scroll style (fancy?)
We bought the painting at a local auction and it was described as a possible copy - but of what was not avialable
Our local gallery suggested not to re-frame until we can identify the work and artist. I have searched the internet but obviously nor well enough - can you assist in any way please?

Thank you for considering this request

Dear John,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.