Fine Art/Old Prints

Dear Sir,

About five years ago, I was in a local antique store and purchased two prints. There was a large book full of loose black and white prints, quite old. I would say that the prints are about a 100 years old, very well done and excellent condition. One is by P.J.Dagnan Bouveret and features a man on the beach, overlooking his dead lover, who is sprawled in the sand. the other is of a woman, naked, sprawled on her back, lucious hair cascading, as her left arm is raised to a bird, fluttering in the air. That one is by Goustave Courbet. I have never heard of either artist, but was wondering if the prints are worth anything.

Hello Valerie,

Thank you for your question.  Both artists are very well known; the first is Pascal-Adolphe-Jean Dagnan-Bouveret a French 'Naturalist' painter and printmaker, born 1852 and died 1929 and the second is Gustave Courbet a French 'Realist' painter and designer, born 1819 and died 1877.

The prints you have are most likely reproductions of their paintings, today we call them posters, and were not meant to be works of art created to have value, they are purely decorative.  

A great public web site you can visit for further information about the artists is  Click on the 'Museums' button to open a list of artists.  

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.