Fine Art/Original or Print?

Question
"I recently inherited a painting from my 97 year old aunt who passed. It has Artist:: Huldah and a number 5806. It also list the title as: In Central Park. I have no knowledge of art. How can I tell if this is a reproduction or an original painting?"The title of the paiinting is on a card attached to the backing. The front of the painting has the signature in the bottom right corner. Are there any other clues on wether it is a reprodution. Like the texture or something like that?  

Answer
Dear Lawanda,

I hope you are enjoying your holiday. It sounds like you have a painting or print by Huldah Cherry Jeffe; an American artist who specialized in the theme of French (Parisian) women, Ballerinas and children. She did many paintings around New York. Central Park and Tavern on the Green are prominent in her work. Most of her original paintings are on canvas or board (Masonite). She did some watercolors on paper, but the majority of her work is oil on canvas.

You mention: It has Artist: Huldah and a number 5806.

Is this number on the front? Is it printed onto the art or is it on the card that is attached to the back? If printed on the art; it is a print. Prints of her paintings were widely distributed by the New York Graphic Society.

I have seen some of her prints that were done on heavy cardboard and brushed with varnish to give the appearance of an original painting. Probably the best way for you to determine if it is original is to view the image with a high magnification glass, such as a jeweler’s loupe. If you see a dot or line pattern it is a print. You should also be able to feel texture with your finger if it is original oil.

I have included her biography by Susan Fox:

HULDAH CHERRY JEFFE
(1901-2001) AMERICAN

Born in Dallas Texas. Studied in New York, attending classes at the Grand Central School, graduated to the Art Student's League. She also attended private classes taught by Robert Brackman. Huldah began her career in the 1940s. From 1934-1949 she was represented by the noted New York art dealer and collector, Howard Young. In the 1950s, the Charles Lock Galleries of New York also exhibited her work. In 1975 Wally Findlay Galleries in New York presented her first one-woman show. Four of her works were purchased by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Her paintings have been reproduced by the New York Graphics Society since 1946 and by Hallmark cards since 1953. Huldah has had her paintings selected for the Grand Salon of the Salon des Artisted Francais in Paris. She won Honorable Mention awards on the Salons of 1948 and 1967. She is listed in "Who's Who in American Art", "Who's Who of American Women" and the "World Who's Who of Women". Her paintings are in the collections of the Georgia Museum of Fine Art, Columbia Museum, Norfolk Museum of Fine Arts, Sheldon Swope Museum of Arts, Cornell Medical Center, and in the Los Angeles Athletic Club. And in 1998 the national Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington DC recognized Huldah and has included her work on their permanent collection.

Huldah original oils have been averaging $1000-1500 at auction.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley