Fine Art/Original or not?

I own a large painting signed by David Shepherd. Tittled "The wise old elephant" It was done on board. I was wondering if you could tell me how I can tell if it is an original or not? Thank you for your time.

Dear Kristin,

I am afraid I cannot authenticate your painting, but lucky for you the artist David Shephard is living in the UK and should be able to help you.

David Shepherd is known internationally as one of the world's leading wildlife artists. He is also a passionate conservationist and he created a wildlife organization that works to protect many of the animals he paints. Elephants are a favorite subject and I was able to find a 1962 print release titled “Wise Old Elephant”. Perhaps it was released after your painting.

I have posted his non profit website address and his organization’s email address below for your convenience. Just send them an email politely requesting assistance in the authentication of your painting.  

Best regards,

David Shephard Wildlife Foundation
DSWF Office & Trading Company:
61 Smithbrook Kilns
Surrey GU6 8JJ
Tel: 01483 272323/267924
Fax: 01483 272427

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.