Fine Art/PIcasso

Hey Dolly, how are you? I had a quick question on a piece selling on
ebay. The link is:
iewItem          -What is your estimate as to how much it is worth?
Thank you so much!

Hello Tyler,

I hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend. To answer your question in general about the value of an original Picasso drawing; (with traceable provenance and/or COA, by Mrs. Maya Picasso and/or Palau Y Fabre for early works); is anywhere from $150,000 to $1.5 million; depending on the solidity of the provenance and importance of its period and appeal. However, I believe that the drawing you referenced on EBay does not have any where near this value because you could never get it authenticated. The attached COA is really of no value unless the person who signed it is a known and respected Picasso specialist. I could not find his name anywhere in the art world; let alone as someone who can authenticate original Picasso drawings. Note there are no credentials or affiliations with his name?

The only provenance listed is “United Kingdom”. That will not get you in the door at any major or minor auction house. Consider this; if the drawing was truly an original Picasso with “authenticity”; would anyone take their chances and sell it without reserve on EBay when they could take it to any auction house and make at least $100,000? It does not make sense.

You asked for my opinion so I say the drawing is worth as much as you want to pay for a piece of decorative art-and certainly not as an investment. I do not know if it is an original Picasso or not. It is my opinion that it does not appear as original work I have seen from Picasso during that time period.

I did review some previous art sales by the same seller and honestly find the story about a forgotten Picasso original oil on canvas in an old shed that just happens to be identical to the original piece Danse de la paix, just a bit too much to take. An auction house would laugh someone out of the building with that provenance.

However, as I said, these are my observations and it may be an original you can get authenticated----but don’t count on it.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.