Fine Art/Painting:

We recently came into possession of a large (44" X 27") painting which we are curious about.  It appears to be old but I am unable to find anything about the artist's name on the frame plaque, which reads...
The Fair on the Haute Plante
T.Lloyd Elsegood

This links to an image of the framed painting...

This link is a closeup of the plaque.

I would appreciate very much knowing if you have any knowledge of this artist in general, and your opinion as to whether this piece may warrant further evaluation.

Many thanks, in advance, for your time and consideration.

Joseph P. Whistler

Dear Joseph, Quite an interesting subject. I have searched through numerous dictionaries of artists and even auction records and find no listing for an "Elsegood." Occasionally artists will use aliases, or this could possibly be a woman artist listed under a married or maiden name. Also, some artists are reclusive, never exhibiting their works, therefore relatively unknown to history.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.