Fine Art/Painting appraisal

Question
I have a large painting signed by what appears to be an artist named Gary Wolfe. It depicts man and woman out in a farm field with a village in the background. It looks like a turn of the century village in Europe to me. The frame is extremely ornate and similar to what hangs in museums. It was given to me as a gift about 15 years ago in Los Angeles where I currently live today by an old friend. He's since past away but I would like to know what would be the best way to find out its value. I've seen a few online services that range from $35 to $200 per appraisal but I'm not sure if the painting is worth anything at all.

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Edward Kercado

Answer
I wish I could help you, Edward, but I can't find any records of sales by Gary Wolfe.  You could call Butterfield's Auction House in LA, located,  I believe, in Hollywood, on either Santa Monica or Wilshire.  They specialize in Western US art and maybe they know of the artist.  Good luck. Alan.

Alan Klevit