Fine Art/Painting or artist identification

Full subject view.
Full subject view.  
Dear Mr. Hynes:
I am sending this request for a friend who has no computer. He has an oil painting that he guesses is from europe dated around 1860. On the back the canvas reads "made by windsor and newton for (unreadable)". The bottom line unmistakeably reads "Brooklyn". I would send more pics, but I'm limited to one photo. If you would be so kind as to respond via my personal e-mail, I will send more. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. - Jerry

Dear Jerry,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.