Fine Art/Painting famous people

Question
I am a Canadian oil painter. Recently I've had the inclination to start painting portraits of famous people.  Assuming the works are of good quality, they would be signed and offered for sale. Am I allowed to do this without asking permission of the people being painted? Obviously the details would have to come from a media source such as TV, newspapers, etc. rather than from personal contact with the subjects. If this is an easy answer I would appreciate your reply.

Dennis McMahon
www.dennismcmahon.com

Answer
As I understand it, if you paint an image of a person from a photo, it is your interpretation and not an actual copy of the photo. I would imagine a work that uses a name like Coca Cola or something of that sort,will have issues, but celeb paintings are common. All of this is just my opinion. There are many sites that talk about copywrite laws and what is permissible. You should probably ask a lawyer or contact a gallery that already sells this type of thing to make sure.

Dan

Dan Twyman