Fine Art/Painting signed C Ciappa

Question
Alan, Thank you for your fast and helpful reply. I would ask if you could confirm the size of the pieces sold in Florida as, following up on your reply, the information I found indicates they were both 12x16 ins or quite a bit smaller (rather than larger) than the one I have. Also can you tell me what year the artist died, I presume he was Italian.
Sincerely, Barrie
-------------------------------------------
The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
I have a framed painting (oil on canvas glued to board). The canvas measures 29ins wide by 22ins high. The painting is a rural scene of a shepherdess driving a flock of sheep away from the viewer down a tree-lined lane towards an open meadow with hills and a sunset in the background. The painting has a signature C Ciappa in the bottom right hand corner. The painting is in excellent condition although there is some slight warping of the board and the brown paper backing is torn. I can provide images of the painting and signature to help identify it.
I would appreciate any information on the artist, authenticity, and value you may be able to give me.
Thank you, sincerely, Barrie "

-----Answer-----
Barrie--a Carlo Ciappa [late 19th and 20th century artist] often signed his work "C. Ciappa."  And he frequently painted on canvas board.  Two of his pieces sold at a small auction house in St. Petersburg, Florida in March 2006, both larger than yours.  One sold for $100, the other $325.  Last December, a piece sold in Italy for $1,000.  If you are interested in selling it, you could contact Sotheby's or Christie's.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, "Art Collecting 101," at www.booklocker.com and an earlier book, "The Art Beat," at Amazon.com.

Answer
Barrie--you are right.  My resource is in Paris and gave info. in centimeters.  The 3 pieces were 20x15, 13x16 and 12x16, the best price by far going to the smallest piece, as size is only one factor in price--quality/desirability are more important.  Can't find when he died.  Good luck.  Alan.

Alan Klevit