Fine Art/Painting

I hope you can give me some insight into a painting my husband and I received from my husband's grandmother.  The painting was left to her and she believes it was bought from an estate sale about 25 years ago.  The painting is a sea scene with a sunset background and is signed C. Ciappa.  It seems to be oil on canvas and is approx. 36 X 24 in.  

I'm having difficulty finding any info. on this astist's name.

Can you help me?

Dear Jeanine, This is most likely the 20th century Italian artist Carlo Ciappa. He was known as a painter of genre, villages, fishermen, and harbor scenes. He is not listed in the usual dictionaries of artists. He probably is listed in the "Comanducci", which is the Italian dictionary of artists. If you search google you will find a web site for the Comanducci, but my experience has been that it is difficult to download, and difficult to search. Libraries of major art museums and universities sometimes have this dictionary. It is many volumes and very expensive. I found one price at auction for a painting similar in subject and size to yours for $3,000.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.