Fine Art/Paul Grimm - Desert Domain

Question
Desert Domain by Paul Grimm
Desert Domain by Paul  
Hello, I have a 23 x 19 picture titled Desert Domain signed by artist Paul Grimm. My question is how can you tell if it is an original or a print? Thank you for your time.

Answer
In most cases a print has an edition number on the lower left corner and is signed on the lower right corner.

A painting has a different texture than a print. You can use a loop or magnafying glass to look for dots, pixels etc.

Modern day Scanned Giclee prints look so much like the original, it can be hard to tell.

If a photo was taken of an original and then printed on paper with a backing, it will appear a bit glossy and if it is a low end museum store print, there will be no edition number, but you should see a printers copywright in tiny letters on the border of the print.

If it's framed and you are concerned about damaging it, a framer can help you.

Dan

Dan Twyman