Fine Art/Pen and Ink Art

QUESTION: Dear Sir, I am trying to identify a beautiful pen and ink drawing my mother has came across in the attic. The detail of the drawing is unbelievable, as is the indistinguishability of the signature.
I would really appreciate your help as I am getting absolutely no where.
Best regards
John McWilliam

ANSWER: Dear John, Are you sure this is not an etching or engraving ? If you want to proceed follow my instructions below.

QUESTION: Dear Sir, I am 99% sure its a pen and ink, looks fairly old, I would guess turn of the century.
I would love to follow this up with your help if possible but couldn't see your further instructions.
If you could let me know what you need I would appreciate it.
Thanks and best regards

John McWilliam

Dear John,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.