Fine Art/Picasso

Question
I bought a print for $2.00 at a yard sale last week just for the frame and glass.  Just the other day my 8 year old son was upset because he couldn't draw a person/face.  I Googled Picasso to show him that his work was different.  I came across a similar print as the one I had bought at the yard sale.  I looked up more Picasso's and found it, 1962 Dove.  I took the print 30"x 22" out of the frame and I expected it to be just a regular print.  It is actually on a different paper.  It has on the right handside (embossed?)the number 15 with a straight line down with 2 lines across it in the middle and then what looks like 90 or 96; under it was the name LANA.  On the top right hand is a small skull which appears embossed also.  Is this just a reproduction?  I know there must be plenty of fakes out there.

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Doris Day

Answer
Yes, Doris, it is a reproduction--not a fake--simply a reproduction.  A wonderful image, though, so enjoy it--and I think it is great that you introduced your son to my favorite artist.  By the way, the much older Doris Day was my favorite singer.  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com [there is a Picasso on the cover].

Alan Klevit