Fine Art/Picasso

Question
thanks so much for the quick and informative reply.  A further question if you have the time.  Of all the great artists, which one is subject to having his work copied, or forged?  I read one quote where a so-called expert claimed that 30 plus percent of fine art shown in museums is fake.
Thanks again, Jerry
-------------------------------------------
The text above is a follow-up to ...

-----Question-----
Dear Mr.Klevit:
I was told that Picasso did not put a title on many of his cubist works.  If true, how are they cataloged now?  Did someone else put a title to the work.
And again, if true, would this make it easy for someone to
forge a painting and attribute it to Picasso.
Thanks for your help,
Jerry Kennealy
-----Answer-----
Jerry--That is true about Picasso.  But not so easy to forge for several reasons.  ALL etchings and lithographs are catalogued, and he dated each piece in the stone/plate, whichever.  If he did a pencil signed and an unsigned edition, he used different paper, so if someone forged his signature on a piece from an unsigned edition, it would be on the wrong paper--spelled out, of course in the catalog.  As for paintings, EVERY painting he did is catalogued.  Experts can identify the canvas, the technique, etc., if someone copied an existing one--and, wait!  all the paintings are already known, and in most cases, even their wherabouts.  If somebody creates a 'new' Picasso painting, where has it been, what is the provenance?  And who is good enough to paint one that an expert could not identify as a fake?  Nobody!  In case you can't tell, he is my favorite artist, his oeuvre containing all the art that preceded him, and all the art since him [as he predicted as a teenager!].  Alan Klevit.

Answer
Jerry--I have no idea, although there has been speculation from time to time about Rembrandt paintings. In 20th century print markets [more my area of expertise], there have been numerous bogus lithographs by Chagall [many spelled out in his official catalog raisonee], perhaps Miro--and many bad 'signatures' by Dali.  Alan.

Alan Klevit