Fine Art/Picasso - Arlequin a chavel or (Jester on Horse)

Question
QUESTION: Acording to my research, the "Arlequin a Cheval" by Picasso was in the Paul Mellon Collection in Upperville VA and upon his passing in 1999 was provided to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) where it's title was changed to "Jester on a Horse". The medium of this Picasso according to the internet was "OIL on Cardboard". and was painted by Picasso in 1905 during his rose period.  All other Prints, Lithographs, Etc. that are being sold on the internet have no Picasso signature and are of a modified version of the painting that was in the Paul Mellon Collection. The Cardboard Picasso mentioned above has a demension of 100 x 62.2 cm (39.4 x 27.2 inches). I have an oil on canvas of an almost exact painting shown on the internet that was in the Paul Mellon Collection with Picasso signature in the exact same location.  The dimensions of the one I have is (25 x 17 3/4 inches).  It appears to be an old canvas and is tearing around the edges. Do I have an old fake? Did artist paint the same picture on two different mediums?  Why would the other Picassos with the same subject be on canvas?  Bottom Line what do I have and what is it's worth fake or not?

ANSWER: It would have to be examined by an expert. You might have a replica, very common to see those.

If you are trying to sell it, I can refer you to our buyer.

His name is Joe, 888-888-DALI

Dan

QUESTION: Respectfully speaking, you responded to my question pertaining to whether or not I had a fake.  However, could you also address the other questions I posed as well?  Specifically, "Did artist paint the same picture on two different mediums?"  Does a replication need to be somehow identified as such on the canvas or media of choice?  Thank in advance for your time.

Answer
Answers to these questions are not available right off the top of my head, nor can any other expert give a quick answer. There are thick volumes of BLOCH books that show Picasso works, but they do not always address these types of issues. In most cases, they list print sizes and other details. If there are two listed, I do not see that. So, more research needs to be done, and that takes time. Picasso did repeat subject matter, but there were variations in the images.
Have you checked with the online Picasso Project?

Dan

Dan Twyman