Fine Art/Picasso Lithograph

Question
Purchased a Picasso Litho. Named "Spanish Lady" alledgedly signed by Picasso in red pencil.  Signature authentification came with it by gallery in NY.  Paid $5400 at high end estate auction at Bronxville Women's Club, NY.  Several audience dealers vouched for auctioneer and litho.  How do I tell if it's a lithograph and if the signature is authentic?  It came framed in a beautiful frame worth about $800.  

Answer
Bev--I am not doubting the auctioneer, merely playing devil's advocate.  Many honest auctioneers may not know if something is good or not. Did any of the dealers bid on the piece?  How do you know the value of the frame?  When was the lithograph done?  Could you call the NY gallery and ask how they know Picasso signed it.  ALL Picasso lithographs are in the official catalog of his lithographs.  I found a piece entitled "Spanish Woman."  It was done in 1974 in an edition of 141, all numbered.  Your piece should have the date in the image [lower right], his signature in the image, with 04.10.60 beneath it.  Otherwise, you have a piece created from a painting or drawing Picasso did and he could have autographed it.  It would not be an original lithograph, although the signature could be legit.  Try contacting someone like Sotheby's.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit

check out Alan's latest book, Art Collecting 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit