Fine Art/Picasso Prints

I,  first off, I want to thank you for your candid expertise on these very questionable lithographs and prints.

I have been wanting to step into the art world, but hate to be duped !!

Quick question for you:

I ran across this dealer...or broker really:
>> Just click on that link, or cut and paste it into your Internet browser Alan<<

They are selling several Picasso lithographs from the Vallavris Expo. Several years are represented here.

I happen to have one I received from a friend, the 1952 expo poster, and it appears to be hand signed, no COA or anything, but has a plate signature and what appears to be a hand signature in red as well.  In fact it has 3 signatures in black pencil, one in red and of course in the plate.

I would like to add to this series.

This company is selling several of these hand singed prints for $100 go off of your Art 101 basic advise ..."Buyer Beware".... is this a great example of false signatures ?

I actually like some of these pieces none-the-less and found the prints to be a good value even if the signature was not real ...BUT would like to ask you your opinion on these prints and the validity.  These pieces come with a standard COA from the National Art Brokers inc. and singed by a Dr. Joseph Foster ????

I can't find any info on the Dr. nor this National Art Broker inc....seems terribly suspect.

Like you have said before:
If it's too good to be true it is and if they can sell these legitimate prints for thousands ...why discount it to a $100 ??

Alan, what are your thoughts on this ??

I truly appreciate your expertise, time, and help !!

I look forward to your advise,

Scott Julsen

Scott--the first thing that hit me on the website was "offset" lithograph.  By definition, an offset is a four-color separation reproduction, which can be reproduced forever, like the cover of TIME Magazine, also an offset lithograph.  They aren't worth a hundred dollars, unless, of course, the signature is good, but why would it be?  Too bad.  Nice images.  Alan.

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University