Fine Art/Picasso Question

Question
Hello,

I am interested in buying a Picasso lithograph. Here is the information I have available: ORIGINAL PABLO PICASSO LITHOGRAPH&HELIOGRAVURE TOROS & TOREROS CIRCLE D'ART EDITION PARIS 1962 (ONLY 150 COPIES PRINTED) HAND SIGNED IN PENCIL BY THE ARTIST HIMSELF 10,5 X 14,5 INCHES COMMENSURATE WITH AGE FINE CONDITION PROVENANCE: NATIONAL ART BROKERS GALLERY CERTIFICATE OF GUARANTEED AUTHENTICITY SIGNED BY A LEADING EXPERT IN THE FIELD DR. JOSEPH FOSTER IS ENCLOSED;

It is from ebay. Here is the listing URL. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

What are the chances of this being legitimate?

Thank you very much,
Stephanie

Answer
Stephanie--First of all, it is not listed in the complete catalog of Picasso lithographs.  Moreover, look at the image in the upper left.  The date shows when Picasso did it.  It is not 1962.  Actually it is 1959 and is an etching.  These 'heliogravures'--whatever the heck that means--I haven't the slightest idea--produced later from the original piece--do not fit MY notion of 'original lithograph' by
any stretch of the imagination.  An original graphic hand signed by Picasso sells in the thousands of dollars.  Would you sell one for a couple of hundred if you knew you could sell it at auction at a real fine art auction house [eg Sotheby's] for 5 or ten times as much?  Me either.  I talk about this very notion of buying on TV or online if you are a novice, in my latest book.  Remember:  buyer beware!  Alan Klevit

Check out Alan's latest book, "Art Collecting 101," at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit