Fine Art/Picasso etching

Question
Dear Alan,

My Friend recently purchased a picasso etching called Gongora: Femme en buste une Main au visage. it is from and edition of 250 , 15x11 in. What is the meaning of "illustrated: Bare, brigitte, Picasso Peintre-gravure, editions Kornfeld vol IV 1998 page 45". Also, she paid around $6000 for it. Is that a fair value? What about authenticity?

Answer
Roy--It sounds like it is from "Gongora:  Vingt Poemes," a suite of 15X11 etchings done in 1947-49, the etchings illustrating the poems.  The last auction record I found was in Paris, 2005, and a piece went for $5,100.  With the rise of the Euro and another year under its belt, and the fact that auction prices usually are below retail, it sounds like your friend got a bargain, assuming excellent condition.  Congratulate her.  Alan Klevit.

check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit