Fine Art/Picasso lithograph

Question
Hi Alan,

For $990, I recently bought a Picasso lithograph at an auction held in LA area by the auction company Everything Goes Auctions Las Vegas.  It's a sketch of two ladies with one of them holding a mirror for the other to look at her hair.  A copy (not the original) of the Certificate of Authenticity was placed on the back of the frame which holds the work.  Here is the information contained in the certificate.

Certificate of Authenticity
National Art Brokers, Inc

Artist: Pablo Picasso

Medium: Original Lithograph (Heliogravure), With Complimentary Hand Signature

Edition: Picasso, Harry Abrams Edition, Germany, 1965

Title: Illustration For Harry Abrams Edition

Size: 9 by 11 inches (Page Size)

Registration Number: PP HA65

Date: June 28th 1988

National Art Brokers, Inc
By Dr. Joseph Foster

The certificate was hand initialed with JF by Joseph Foster.  The seal on it was dated 1979.

The work itself was hand signed with pencil by Picasso.  And on right lower corner was the number 28.  

After reading your past answers, I almost lost all confidence in the authenticity of the work.  Given the information provided, what's your opinion?  If it's determined a fake, can I contact the auction house and ask for refund?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Best,
Harry  

Answer
Harry--First of all, I have no idea what a 'complimentary hand signature' is.  Or a heliogravure, which is certainly not an original lithograph, which would be pulled from a stone or plate on which the image would be created by the artist [in this case, Picasso].  There is no 1965 lithograph listed in the Catalog of original lithographs matching the description.  It sounds like it was reproduced for a book by Abrams, a renowned publisher of art books.  The number 28 means nothing.  It certainly does not fit my the art world's notion of an original pencil signed lithograph.  The term 'lithograph' is bandied about without discretion.  For example, the cover of TIME magazine is an offset lithograph, and is a reproduction of a photograph,painting, whatever.  Recourse?  I am not a lawyer, so I feel inadequate to advise, but I certainly would call the auction house for starters.  Good luck.  Alan Klevit.

check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com, and THE ART BEAT at Amazon.com.

Alan Klevit