Fine Art/Picasso lithograph

QUESTION: I have a framed and matted lithograph that I believe is a Picasso. It is matted in burlap in a plain black wood frame, and the printed date is backward (including "Dimanches" and "1947"), indicating an original lithograph. The image is approximately 10"x16", and depicts a bull much in the style of prehistoric cave paintings. The piece was apparently done in black ink on heavy paper. It is signed "Picasso" in the lower left corner in pencil with a later-style signature, and denoted "yreve d'artiste" in pencil in the lower right corner. I think this translates to "artist's proof", and means it is a pre-production original lithographic print; however, as I have scanned numerous websites with Picasso prints listed and for sale over the years, I have never come across this image. Please tell me if I am on the right track, the correct name of the work if possible,  whether an artist's proof is more or less desirable than one numbered in a series, and a value range for this piece if you feel comfortable in providing that kind of information. Thank you for any help you can give me.

ANSWER: I might be able to find it quickly, but in most of these cases it takes quite a bit of time going through the volumes of Picasso images in the Bloch books and others.

If you are trying to sell it, you should send images and details about the piece to my email address and I will forward it to my buyer.

Send to:

QUESTION:  Is there another site you could direct me to? I really would like to find out more about this piece. I don't intend to sell it at this time. I believe it is in its original frame, and under glass, so that scanning or picturing might be difficult, and I do not want to disturb the print as it is. I don't mind looking through longer catalogs, if I know where they are. I was hoping that the date, subject matter, and type of process might narrow a search, but if you are telling me it will not, I am willing to search anyway. Thank you for your prompt attention to these questions.

There are no sites that will help you unless one of the experts happens to know off the top of their heads what you have.  Picasso did mass volumes of work during his career.  As other experts here, I can help with general info and sometimes know the answer right away. Art consultants charge fees because we all work in the industry and cannot stop and spend many hours on one item and do the work for free.

The Picasso books are probably available in libraries, specialized book stores etc.

I can refer you to an art appraiser, they charge fees starting at $150.00, but it's worth it if you have a valuable Picasso.  Low end Picasso's that are authentic sell for 15K  Recent Auction records at Christies Hong Kong, a Picasso engraving sold for 1.2 Million dollars.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.