Fine Art/Picasso lithograph

Question
Hi Alan,
I am considering buying a Picasso lithograph of a ballet dancer.  The gallery wants just under $3000 for it.  Can you tell me what I can do to verify its authenticity and figure out if the price is fair?

Thanks,
Michael

Answer
Michael--The price could be okay, but sounds too cheap if the piece is pencil signed and numbered. It should be dated in the stone/plate [backwards], as Picasso always did that. And ask the gallery for the catalog number.  Every Picasso original lithograph and intaglio/etching is catalogued.  If they don't have one, look at the piece through a jeweler's loop or high powered magnifying glass and focus on a part with some color.  If there are dots, it is an offset reproduction.  I did a quick scan of my catalog of lithographs and did not see it--I am on my way out of the house.  However, get me the date and other info above and I will gladly check thoroughly this weekend.  Alan Klevit.

Check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at www.booklocker.com.

Alan Klevit