Fine Art/Picasso print or lithograph

Thank you for your quick response. I did check for the dots with a high magnificaton glass and there were none. Did I mention the paper was yellowed where it was exposed outside the frame?
My Ebay ID is monika645 if you would like to view this print. Thank you again for your help.-------------------------

Followup To

Question -
Greetings! I purchased at a thrift shop what I thought was a print of Picasso's "Dance of Youth." After researhing it on Ebay ond other websites I noticed that mine was different in Colour and the signature was not underlined and dated. The colours are vibrant opposed to those on the prints. So what did I get this time? I paid a big .50 and posted it on ebay. Thanks for your help. Monika

Answer -
Hello Monika,

Thank you for your question. As you are well aware, the print you mention is probably one of the most reproduced of Picasso images. It is also referred to as The Dance of Peace; Danse de la paix. It is present on the market in multiple sizes and descriptions. I have also seen variations of the image such as you mention in your question. If you have a high magnificaton glass, you can check for the dot matrix typical of off-set lithographs. The vibrant colors could indicate it is a pochoir (stencil) of the image. The solidity of the ink for a pochoir will be similar to a plate lithograph. I don't believe the print was ever released in a hand signed/numbered limited edition.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your print on EBay.

Best regards,

Hello Monika,

Your print could well be a pochoir created for a limited edition portfolio. The size is appropriate and it would also make sense why the date would be left off. Pochoirs appear brighter and more vibrant than other prints because the inks are laid upon the paper rather than pressed into it.  They look more like original watercolors/gouache than a print.

Many of the modern masters used pochoirs in their books/portfolio as they are more representative of the original work. Daniel Jacomet was the premier Parisian atelier for pochoirs. He invented a method that produced the most stunning results. Pochoirs are very expensive to create and were usually reserved for special editions of the artists work or a collaboration of work by similar artists. They require a great deal of manual labor and time. The cost is very expensive compared to lithographs, serigraphs, etc.  All pochoirs must meet the same standards of artist involvement as original lithographs and are not released until the artist has approved the final image. I have several cherished Picasso pochoirs that were produced by Jacomet Ateliers in Paris.

With this in mind; I think I will now go and bid on your print. <smile>

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.