Fine Art/Pierre Bonnard

I was wondering if you could help me with information on a print by Pierre Bonnard titled Jeune Fille Lisant.  The back of the frame has a certification and seal from the Societe de Verification de la Gravure International of New York & Paris stating that it is an original etching.  It looks to have been purchased through the Collectors Guild. I think that it is a restrike of the original plates as it has 2 lines through the shoulders of the girl pictured.  Any help you an provide as to age, value and whether it is authentic or not would be appreciated.

Dear Nancy,

I hope this finds you well. You are correct in that you have a restrike from the original copper plate. The Collector’s Guild used the original to produce a new release of fewer than 350 images in 1965.

I have found that current values on these are in the $200-600 range, depending on seller. They are original from the plate, but not “original” to the initial release. Most often the plates are reworked before printing.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.