Fine Art/Question About An Oil Painting

Followup To

Question -
Alan, will you send me your E-Mail address?  I want to send you a question about an original oil painting, very old in it's original frame.  I also want to send you a scanned copy of the painting.  Thank you.  Joyce

Answer -
Joyce--I would rather do this in two steps.  Ask your question, and if I think I can help you, we'll take it from there.  Also, it would have to be scanned into the body of the email, as I do not open attachments from people I don't know [I lost a computer to a virus and am quite gun shy].  Alan.

Follow UP
Can you tell me whose style of painting this is or direct this message to the right department?  My brother has an original painting and I think it's by the same artist. I also think it came from Germany. He did find a signature on the painting, JHS. Four of the little circles at the top of his picture are like angel heads and they have wings.   

I have seen several paintings (or posters of some original paintings) on the Internet that I believe are by the same Artist.  I am sending an attachment of my brother's painting (his is at the bottom) and two that I saw on the Internet.  The top painting is by artist, Unknown and one by H.Zabateri. (I will send the scanned copies (not an attachment)when you send me your E-mail address. Can you tell me about what period these were painted and some idea about the price of the painting?  Also what period of time did the Artist, H. Zabateri  paint? I do have a close up of the part of the picture with the initials.  They are in the center of the chalice on the table. Thanks, Joyce

Dear Joyce--I cannot find H. Zabateri in any of my references, and nothing he painted has sold at an auction anywhere in the world the past year or so [I belong to a special service which provides me that info.], so I can't help you on that one.  Unfortunately, old oil paintings, except by 20th century masters, are also outside my realm of expertise.  Send me the picture if you wish, as I enjoy looking at all art, but I doubt I can shed any light.  If you think the artist is internationally renowned, which he might be if there of posters of his paintings, you might want to contact Sotheby's.  Wish I could be more helpful.  My email is  Alan Klevit.

NOTE:  check out Alan's latest book, ART COLLECTING 101, at

Alan Klevit

I can provide sound advice on buying, collecting & understanding fine art, especially original works by 20th century masters and leading contemporary artists. I can also explain techniques used to create original works and offer tips on how to tell whether or not a piece is an original work of art.

I have been active in the art world for twenty-seven years. I owned and operated four galleries and a wholesale showroom on both coasts. We specialized in original works by 20th century masters and emerging artists. I have been an art consultant, artist's representative, lecturer, auctioneer, and curator. I had a radio show for two years, "Today's Art World with Alan Klevit" [Washington, D.C.]; hosted two television shows on the arts for six years [Los Angeles Area]; have written for numerous local papers and international art magazines; and currently write a syndicated column, "The Art Beat." I conduct art auctions for charities throughout the United States, and am a frequent speaker/auctioneer on upscale cruise ships, and at civic organizations and local television shows.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees from Georgetown University and The American University